Friday, August 24, 2007

thoughts of the day

Tell today I picked up Lucy’s Vietnamese passport and we are set to fly to Hanoi tomorrow afternoon. The sad news for us is that one the families had a glitch and will not be traveling with us. Tricia and I really enjoy their company, so this is a real bummer. There is a chance that we might see them in Hanoi before we leave to head home.

I bought a manly backpack to use as my diaper bag (nice north face knockoff for 130,000 Dong…..that’s less than 9 bucks and I didn’t even haggle). Now don’t get me wrong…there is nothing wrong with the pink quilted bag that we were given as a gift….Tricia loves it. I on the other hand am not a big fan of pink or quilted bags, so when I had a chance to purchase a great backpack for less than nine dollars I jumped on it.

When the men got back from our outing to the passport office and my awesome backpack purchase I found Tricia and Lucy in the Lobby of THE REX HOTEL where we are staying. Apparently Tricia felt the construction worker with the jackhammer outside our room was a problem, as well as the dust that filled the hallway. So I did the husbandly thing and got the hotel to give us a not so jack hammery room. This was really not a problem since I said the magic words….sleeping baby. You have to remember that the Vietnamese people have an over active love for babies. I do find it interesting however that no one has ever tried to take Lucy from me. What! Do I really look that scary? I’m only 6’1” tall, weigh in at a measly 255 pounds, and have a “wooly” face……I’m a nice guy, really I am.

Our time here in Vietnam has really been great. The people here are so friendly and they carry with them a sense of peace that I have not experienced anywhere before. I have not felt unsafe or uncomfortable during the entire trip…even in the traffic. With this said, I did have a sobering moment today while out shopping. In one of the shops there were some old US military items, mainly compasses and things of that nature, but there were also old dog tags. Though this was sobering, it did not compare to the empty feeling I experienced when I came across several High School class rings from the United States dated 1963 and 1964. For me, these ghosts from the past should teach us something, as should the sense of peace I feel among my daughter’s people.

And on a lighter note: While shopping, I picked up a really cool “Happy Buddha”. I think every Episcopal Priest needs a really cool “Happy Buddha”, but as many of you know, I’m not your average priest!

Well the girls and I are off to Hanoi tomorrow, so we’ll see what the North has in store for us.

Peace…..Kirk

4 comments:

Chuck and Jean Anne said...

Great post Kirk. I've really enjoyed following your trip...taking notes along the way.

Good job on finding a manly man-purse...I know exactly where you're coming from.

Safe travels to Hanoi. You're daughter is absolutely gorgeous.

Heather said...

Love the post and the pictures on the previous post. We found the VN people to be precious, as well. Safe travels!

Leigh said...

I love your commentary Kirk and I am sure Tricia appreciates you taking on the blogging role. (More baby and shopping time for her!)

I too, wish you Peace for the rest of your trip!

Anonymous said...

We have enjoyed reading your comments everyday. thanks for keeping us posted. we are eager to see Lucy in person. Have a safe trip home. Love, uncle Lance and aunt Jane